Neighbourhood Safety Initiative - Conclusion
Considering the principles and practices articulated in this brief handbook, we may rephrase our priorities as follows:
- safety begins in neighbourhoods, the places where we live, play and often work;
- true safety is experienced in the enhanced quality of daily life;
- neighbourhoods are the building blocks of a broader community, and have a ripple effect beyond themselves;
- neighbourhood safety is not the exclusive domain of any single agency or organisation;
- the chief characteristics of effective placemakers for public safety (whether ‘ordinary’ citizens or public servants) are alertness and respect.
If you would like assistance from John Cartwright in applying these principles to particular contexts and circumstances, please contact Elaine Atkins at Elaine.Atkins@uct.ac.za